Home Forums Let’s get Technical Home Studio

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic

Julian
    Participant

I know this has probably been answered 100 times before so if someone can direct me to a link I would appreciate it. I am not technical when it comes to set ups and just have guitars and amps. I have decided to build a room for my sons to practice and need a vocal set up. I am looking for a couple of mics and a PA/ Speaker to plug them into. The set up will be guitars, amps, drum and vocal and mainly used for band practice. Can you guide me as to what I should buy to complete the set up? I am looking for quality that will last and is versatile. Thanks.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

Don’t spend less that 100 euros on a mic. Audio Tecnica are great mics and well priced

mikasmikas
    Participant

Best Microphone reviews you batter read review I hope your problem will be solve.
    My favorite is Yeti pro. yeti pro  mic

Julian
    Participant

Hello Julian:

This seems to be a good-ish website for microphone comparison. WARNING: some of the links to Amazon for the prices are a bit out of date, and there seems to be little you can get for under £100 nowadays. Only the MXL 770 and the Behringer C-1 fall into that category. The Behringer is dirt cheap at under £40 but don’t expect it to sound fantastic, just average. Not bad for the price. I would still go for the Røde NT1-A even though it’s £150. Unless you’re looking for a hand-held ‘live mic’, of which there is only one: the Shure SM58. My wife just bought a couple of those for £90 each. Absolutely brilliant, for the price.

Microphone Comparison:

The Top 10 Best Microphones for Recording Vocals

Cheers,
    Stephen

Thanks again Guy & Stephen. I like the microphone comparison site; very useful. I am looking more for a live mic than studio mic.

Stephen ButlerStephen Butler
    Participant

Hello Julian:

This seems to be a good-ish website for microphone comparison. WARNING: some of the links to Amazon for the prices are a bit out of date, and there seems to be little you can get for under £100 nowadays. Only the MXL 770 and the Behringer C-1 fall into that category. The Behringer is dirt cheap at under £40 but don’t expect it to sound fantastic, just average. Not bad for the price. I would still go for the Røde NT1-A even though it’s £150. Unless you’re looking for a hand-held ‘live mic’, of which there is only one: the Shure SM58. My wife just bought a couple of those for £90 each. Absolutely brilliant, for the price.

Microphone Comparison:

Cheers,
    Stephen

Julian
    Participant

Thanks Stephen. Budget is around £100 for each mic. Lots to research!

Stephen ButlerStephen Butler
    Participant

Also, the Røde range are pretty decent at a reasonable-ish price. I bought my NT1 in 1999 and it still works perfectly today. It was around a hundred quid then so over the years you are looking at a cost of, what, £5.90 a year? I don’t know if that’s within your budgie or not, Julian.

Cheers,
    Stephen

Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

Thanks Guy. I was not looking at either of those but they look just the ticket. Can you point me in the direction of a decent mic as well? I know you’ve recommended a few in the past but I cannot remember which. Thanks.

the Audio Technica range of Mics are affordable and superb.
    G

Julian
    Participant

Thanks Guy. I was not looking at either of those but they look just the ticket. Can you point me in the direction of a decent mic as well? I know you’ve recommended a few in the past but I cannot remember which. Thanks.

Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

There are many great small PA systems out there. Here’s a good article to get you started. I’ve used the Fender Passport system and the Yamaha, both good.

G

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.