Home Forums Dr. Fletch – “Ask the Doc” Let's guess what Mark and Guy are working on…..

• Creator
    Topic

Cheney Coker
    Participant

Deep within the walls of British Grove, Doc Fletch and his trusty ward are hard at work on …. something. Something different. Something secret. I propose that since Doc can’t tell us what it is, we should all guess what it is and see who comes closest. Extra points for ‘creativity’.

1. A track for track recreation of Pet Sounds.
    2. An audio clinic on proper volume levels for Bob Dylan’s production sound crew.
    3. Crowdsourcing the next tour’s set list by randomly feeding song titles into the New York Times’ crossword puzzles to guage popularity.
    4. Arm wrestling over who gets to play bass on the next album since, well, everyone can play bass.
    5. Driving Glenn Saggers insane with constant requests to hear guitar X with amp z and then guitar z with amp y, and on and on and on.
    6. Doc trying to get things done while Mark constantly bothers him with questions like, “Ok, but what does THAT knob do?”
    7. Not a damn thing. They were part of a secret task force to rig the US Presidential election and unfortunately failed.
    8. Methodically working through every recipe in Doc’s Tour cookbook in order to pre-plan the next tour’s menus.
    9. Binge watching old QI episodes.
    10. Mark is finally working on the much rumored and planned “Well-Tempered Straits” wherein Mark plays “Walk of Life” in all 12 keys.

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Cheney Coker.
Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • Stephen ButlerStephen Butler
    Participant

OK, this is where we are supposed to guess what Mark, Guy & the ‘boys’ are up to? If one of us is correct, what will we receive as a prize? I would like a puppet as a companion for my existing one Liam, who is lonely.

My guesses:

1. Some sort of celebration of the fact that on or around June 25, 1977, Dire Straits was formed or played their first gig or something like that. That means that 2017 will be its 40th anniversary. Celebrations could include:
    a) A big party with loads of jelly, cake, ice cream and stuff.
    b) A performance of every Dire Straits album, in sequence (yes, including Communiqué) in a pub in South London. My vote would be the Magic Garden in Battersea.
    c) A whopping touring production of ‘Disney’s Money For Nothing on Ice,’ in which fairies skate around delivery guys, who mock them with phrases like ‘look at them yo-yo’s’. But the fairies have the last laugh as they sprinkle magic dust all around, making the delivery guys drop their TVs and fall in love (some with each other).
    d) An album of Ringo Starr covers.
    e) Two albums of Ringo Starr covers.
    f) A special ‘Mark Knopfler’ line of Double Whoppers with Cheese off Burger King.
    g) A re-issue of all the Dire Straits albums, but with the covers all mixed up, just to confuse us.
    h) We really have no idea, do we?

Cheers!

Val
    Participant

An album with The Rocket Dolls!

Elin
    Participant

– Brendan Croker and Steve Philips are back, and they are recording both new and old songs as the NHB

– Mark and Guy are using most of the studio to build Lego-castles

NoclaimtofameNoclaimtofame
    Participant

It’s an album with new session muso’s with a grittier edge and the ’58 Les Paul featured on every track. Obviously!

Mika
    Participant

Mark Knopfler on drums
    Guy Fletcher bass
    Ian Thomas guitar
    Glenn Worf on keyboard

Something different..

Cheney Coker
    Participant

1. Mark’s long awaited Salsa album
    2. Mark and Guy are working on a new West End musical, “George”. The life and times of King George III. If you loved him in “Hamilton”, you will love him in his own show. Everyone’s mad about George!
    3. They are painting Studio A. These buildings won’t paint themselves.
    4. Mark, depressed over the Brexit vote, has locked himself in an isolation booth and won’t come out until Guy puts a bag over his head, stands in a bucket and sings Jerusalem.
    5. Nothing. They are doing absolutely nothing. Writer’s block has left Mark without anything to do. This has left Guy with nothing to do all day except sniff the tape reels.

rich
    Participant

A blues album would be my guess?

JulioJulio
    Participant

Dear Guy
    At least, could you tell us something about in which state is this project?
    A/Early stages, too soon to even imagine when will be finished
    B/Developing with no idea of when it will be finished yet
    C/Near final stages, next months (or early next year) will have the definitive sessions
    D/Almost finished

Dmac
    Participant

I really dont see what they are doing in the studio has anything to do with the documentary, why would it require a band session or any recording at all! They must be recording a new record but we know its not the normal MK solo record so its got to be a new straits record or a hillbillies record??

bombur
    Participant

Sorry – added this on the wrong part of the forum!

A musical of some sort?

Whatever it is, will we drool and sigh on hearing the musicality?

JulioJulio
    Participant

Hi!

I would think they’re working on the Henrik Hansen documentary.
    Mixing the sound and things …

Cheers
    Joerg

Yes, in fact we all knew that MK and Guy would be working in the studio because someone asked in the old forum about the documentary and Guy answered that they would be back to the studio very soon, without more details.

But I think that mixing the sound of the documentary is just something of what they are doing (or already did), in Guy´s instagram you can see pictures of MK playing an acoustic guitars and also pictures of two Monteleone, three more acosutics (Martin and Gibson) and the Fender MK, and Guy also said that they had a band session some weeks ago so, the documentary apparently doesn´t need recording instruments, as they have plenty material to do a two hours documentary just with the Copenhaguen, Barcelona, the US shows, the History Festival and interviews that Mr Hansen already shot.

Joerg
    Participant

Hi!

I would think they’re working on the Henrik Hansen documentary.
    Mixing the sound and things …

Cheers
    Joerg

JulioJulio
    Participant

not even close, keep ’em coming

G

When I read that “Playtime Deluxe” was a “new song that sounds like an oldie”, “through the looking glass” of Toto came to mind automatically. That record consisted in versions of classic rock songs that inspired Toto. I don´t think that you are doing a versions record but, maybe songs that in some ways are homages to some classic rock, blues or folk songs, like “Quality Shoe” was a kind of homage to Roger Miller´s “King of the road”, or “Miss you blues” and “Oklahoma Ponnies” were MK lyrics based on traditional folk songs…

Cold? Warm?

thunderfly
    Participant

*Ahem*

…a new Dire Straits album…

Terri Shawn
    Participant

1) A collaboration album with all the great artists MK has worked with over the years. (Jimmy Buffett, Sonny Landreth, Van Morrison, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, maybe even Mr Bob himself?)
    2) Spanish guitar influenced album, since I love the soundtrack from Altamira.
    3) Straight up rock n roll with an Everly Bros sound
    4) Straight up country, with lots of twang and Paul Franklin steel guitar, with Vince Gill as guest (and maybe the rest of the Time Jumpers?)
    OK. You have my Christmas wish list.

Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

not even close, keep ’em coming

G

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.