Home Forums Guy Fletcher Dr. Fletch welcome

• Creator
    Topic
    Dr. Fletch
    Dr. Fletch
    Keymaster

Hi all,

Welcome……it’s about time I upgraded the forum. Please feel free to contribute in the normal manner and I will be ready and willing to answer.
    cheers

Dr. Fletch

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by Dr. Fletch Dr. Fletch.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Dr. Fletch Dr. Fletch.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Dr. Fletch Dr. Fletch.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Dr. Fletch Dr. Fletch.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Dr. Fletch Dr. Fletch.
Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • LeonLeon

Apologies about that, Julio.

The reason why the password rules are fairly strict is because the forum account is also linked to your shop account. So any downloads that you may purchase will be linked to it. Having a strong password means that someone is far less likely to breach your account.

A lot of computers nowadays have autofill features where you can securely store your password on your computer ready to use whenever. So this may be something worth investigating further 😉

JulioJulio
    Participant

…and some exciting projects upcoming!. This sentence in your new “ABOUT” section caught my attention… I was waiting for info about your new record and what MK and you are working on with the revamped site. Good news about your new record, looking forward to listen to it but nothing yet about those exciting projects upcomin. I know that good old Doc cannot reveal too much but, what about some clues that could make this waiting more easy? 😉

JulioJulio
    Participant

Hello Doc, Did you watch ROADIES, the tv series created by Cameron Crowe? As you probably know, Crowe used to be a Rolling Stone journalist during the 70’s, following some of that era greatest bands on tour, like Led Zeppelin, and he made some films like ALMOST FAMOUS about the touring bands. This tv series he created is about touring but focused, as the name says, in the roadies. I liked it a lot and I discovered that thanks to your great diaries, I was quite familiar with everything that is shown in every chapter. If you haven’t seen it, do i when you can, I hope you like it. I watched the last episode yesterday and I thought that I had to thank you to share with us not only what you live on tour, but also who are these wonderful people that are around the musicians setting up everything, living on a bus etc etc that are unknown to the audience, but withouth whom , there won´t be any concert or tour at all. The first episode starts with a Tom Petty quote “I just go on stage and play music, they do the show, without them, there is no show”.

JulioJulio
    Participant

About this new forum, I find a problem with the registration… It forces you to use a password with 7 characters minimum, mixing letters in capital and not capital, numbers and signs… I have not any other password like that so I´m sure I´m gonna forget the password to acces your forum for next time I want to post here. I will have to reset my password everytime or write it somewhere and check it before I write here… It´s annoying. I hope this can be changed.

LeonLeon

Oh, thought you all might appreciate this, but I’ve added a status feature to threads in Ask Doc. Be sure to check it out 😉

LeonLeon

I completely understand, it can take a while to adjust to something completely different than what you are used to. I used to be a member of many boards that used phpBB or vBulletin, then when one forum changed to XenForo, it was quite a shock, but it worked too much better. I’m hoping that bbPress should be a lot better than the old system… eventually haha

As for choosing the forum, if you click ‘No Forum’, you should be able to get a dropdown box with a lis of all the forums. I’m hoping this method will be temporary as I investigate other ways to go about posting a topic… sounds simple, but it really isn’t lol

Mike ChildMike Child
    Participant

Well, it’s a completely different format to the forum on the old site so, as with all these things, I suppose it will take time for people to adapt to it. It certainly appears to be becoming more user-friendly now, and I have to say I do like the general design of the main site a lot. Looks good both on my desktop machine and my iPhone.

There is one slight issue at the moment when attempting to post new topics. The message at the top of the screen tells us to specify which forum we would like the topic to appear in, but the drop-down doesn’t give any options other than ‘(no forum)’.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Mike Child Mike Child.
    LeonLeon

I’ve been able to fix the caching issues (posts weren’t appearing straight away) and the ability to create new topics (had a bit of trouble sorting that out)
    It looks like there are some plugins which should tell users which topics have new posts in (with an icon I believe). If that’s something you will find useful, I’d be more than happy to have a look at them.

At the moment there are few topics (mainly due to the oversight that you guys weren’t able to make threads (sorry!)), but they should be sorted by ‘freshness’ by default, if they appear otherwise, I will investigate further 🙂

The main reason we chose BBPress, is because it was the only software which would allow complete integration with WordPress and its themes, the only other we had in mind was XenForo for how flexible the software is (this comes from my previous experience with it)

On the previous page, someone mentioned about old forum posts, unfortunately, due to the incredible difference between the previous platform an BBPress, there doesn’t seem to be any clear way to transfer the content over. We will take a closer look, but if worst comes to worse, we may decide to put all those posts in an archive site of sorts.

Hope what I have said has been helpful, and don’t hesitate to ask any questions 🙂

Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

Thanks for the comments, yes. This forum is VERY much under test. I HAVE been very busy so it has been difficult to keep up. I take your points on the new site being too complex and I agree. Still not entirely convinced it’s going to work as it stands but all these things can be modified to suit our needs. It is a wordpress core and a bbpress forum which I must confess isn’t quite as flexible as I’d first imagined. As I said, work in progress. We’ll get there.

For now, feel free to critique and offer suggestions…after all, that’s what a forum is for.

Guy

Cheney Coker
    Participant

Have to agree with Wolfgang. The old forum was designed primarily as a Q&A with Doc. Ask a question or make a statment. If Doc wanted to respond or comment that response or comment would be attached to the original question. This is a forum format which is much more attuned to a large group of people interacting with each other. I’ve been a moderator on a rather large board in the past and the best way to set that kind up is with main topics (music, tours, gear, current events, travel, cooking, movies, sports, etc.) with the ability of individual users to create a post in that category with all comments regarding that post being attached to that post.

Here is a link to a sample Proboards forum.

In the forum I posted, the hosting is through proboards. It looks like you are running wordpress. WordPress is great for blogs and such but I don’t know if it is set up to host a full fledged forum like a dedicated client like proboards. But you can see the structure I talked about. Categories/Threads/Posts. Newest threads at the top of each category, newest posts in a specific thread are ok to be at the end. Threads are sorted by most recent post so active threads stay near the top, inactive threads drift to the bottom and eventually off the main page.

I suspect you are trying to get away from this forum being just a Q&A ask and answer. It makes followup questions and discussions pretty much a pain. In the proboards format anyone can post a thread, if Doc wants to post something he can. If not, he ignores it. You know it is hard maintaining third person when talking about YOU.

If it leads to a lengthy discussion then that thread grows. But there would be no expectation on the part of the forum that you answer all new threads since you technically don’t now. It would allow a category of “Tours” where a thread could be started for each city on that tour by people in that city and they could post comments, reviews, ticket offers, set up meetings prior to the show with each other, etc. A music category could have main topics for each album where ALL questions regarding that album would be posted there.

What you have now are four single threads located within four single categories. If someone asks a question about “Tracker” and then someone else askes about a golf match, it may be a dozen posts before you respond to either or neither as all replies are in a single topic. This is a rather long winded way of saying what we have here is more like an endles string of text messages with multiple people taking part. You may never know if your question was answered or, for that matter, which question was being addressed by any given answer as group chats are by design hard to follow.

I don’t know is wordpress can be modified to support this type of forum structure or not. I don’t know what forum plugin you are using here. There are WordPress plugins that do and work much better than what you have now. You might take a look at BBPress for WordPress. The plug-in looks good, has plenty of features as far as I can see, and allows a more feature rich forum like the ones that Proboards provide, all within wordpress.

You can read about BBPress here.

Wolfgang
    Participant

Hi Guy, it’s W. from Northern Germany. New site looks great but forum does not I’m afraid. New posts should be on top and be marked as new since last visit. The structure of the old one was much simpler and clearer. And hopefully it is only because you are so busy that there are no Doc’s answers yet? Now it is more of a message board. Q@A with you was always great and priceless. Now all we have are opinions and you have to scroll and scroll to check if something new did happen. Graphics and design on the new page DO look great especially on mobile devices. Nice to see that the new album will have a vinyl edition, too! Many are waiting for the news about what exactly it is you and Mark are doing in London! All the best, W.

NathalieNathalie
    Participant

Hi Guy, congrats on the new site. Very nice! Looking forward to listening to the new album, finally!
    N

Miquel
    Participant

Hi Doc, welcome back!!

It’s a pleasure to meet you again at your brand new site. It looks great! And… what a surprise”” new album!!!

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Miquel.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Miquel.
    Gary WhitsGary Whits
    Participant

Love it Guy. It means we have to use our brains to work it out. It’s fun which is what it’s all about

JagryJagry
    Participant

Hey Doc,

Congrats on your new website, stunning it is!

Btw: seems there can’t be anything posted on the “Guy Fletcher” topic, think the good Doc has to post something first!

Best, Dom

JagryJagry
    Participant

Hey Doc,

Congrats on the new website, just stunning!

Btw: seems that there can’t be anything posted on the “Guy Fletcher” topic, …. think the good Doc has to put up something first! 🙂

Best, Dom

Jos
    Participant

Hi Doc,
    I’m finding my way around your new site but can’t find previous Forum messages.
    I like the way it is but need to get used to it.
    Getting old is NOT for whimps!
    Keep up the good work.
    All the best,
    Jos

jmahon
    Participant

Good Day Good Doc,

Was watching this incredibly exciting Ryder Cup and wondering if you might be as well, then I saw the site changes…very nice. Made sure my first stop was to order the CD and am now back watching this Ryder Cup. The McIlroy vs. Reed match verged on the supernatural there for a moment, with Reed following Rory’s 45 footer with a 25 footer of his own. It’s early yet, but very exciting with some great golf.

Europe is making a run…

Congratulations on the new release. I am really looking forward to it.

John

The tennismanThe tennisman
    Participant

Hey Guy congrats for your new website.
    Hope to hear you soon.
    What about a GF tour to promote your new album ?
    Patrick

Pierrick
    Participant

Hi Guy,

Your new site looks great! Just a quick note: would it be possible to read the most recent posts first? Thanks!

The tennismanThe tennisman
    Participant

Hey Guy.Congrats for your new website.
    Hope to hear you soon
    What about a GF tour to promote your new album ?
    Patrick

amcorp
    Participant

Congrats to the beautiful new home in the web!

Dr. FletchDr. Fletch
    Keymaster

Thanks Cheney, yes, this is just what I need. I agree on all points.
    1. I will make this bloody font larger!
    2. Tracker quotes fixed
    3. I will add Topic functionality I don’t want ‘complete’ control here Good Idea re. diary for cooking
    4. Yes, there are a few new pics in the diaries but that’s a work in progress as I’m pretty busy
    5. I’ll add videos at some point but it may be a while yet.
    6. Old Forum posts – yes, there are a LOT. I do want to find some way of archiving.

I may not get round to all this immediately but will get on the case asap

2Protect2ServeAll2Protect2ServeAll
    Participant

New site for you, new screen name for me. Everything looks great Doc, and I can’t wait to get the new album. The samples sound great.

From the member formerly known as BPDNEDCID.

Peace.

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.”

2Protect2ServeAll2Protect2ServeAll
    Participant

New site for you, new screenname for me. Looks great Doc. Can’t wait for the new album.

Posted by the member formerly known as BPDNEDCID

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. I will be hoping that this letter finds you, and finds you well.”

HopheadHophead
    Participant

Gary…I believe that the new forum is more open-ended than the previous. While our posts are immediately put up…Guy’s responses will take time. After all…Guy is a busy man (thankfully!). I think we all need to have a little patience with the new forum structure.

Gary WhitsGary Whits
    Participant

It’s ok…I’m kind of getting it. Just wondering where your answers will be to my silly questions about running into burning barns rescuing your favourite instroments

Gary WhitsGary Whits
    Participant

I think I got the new system. Please let me know if I have

Gary WhitsGary Whits
    Participant

I don’t get how the new forum system works. Please help

upxmark
    Participant

keep up the good work guy hope to see you and mk soon any news on a new album or tour

Viewing 30 replies - 31 through 60 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.